Saturday, July 11, 2009

ARE EX-OFFENDERS TREATED UNFAIRLY WHEN IT COMES TO EMPLOYMENT?

It is undisputable that this latest recession has effected everybody in the United States in some way or another. For some people it has been more direct, effecting them in the way of lost 'jobs' and 'home foreclosures'. For others, it hasn't been quite so direct, effecting them instead in the way of 'lost services' and 'quality free time'.

For those attempting to find a decent job during these times however, this particular exercise has proven to be an extremely difficult, time consuming and exasperating process. One often resulting in 'futility' and consequently a feeling of hopelessness and despair.

But as 'difficult' as it may be for some to find decent employment during these times, these individuals can at least take some comfort in the fact that their situation is only 'temporary' in nature. Obviously, these individuals 'will' at some point find a good job although they may have to wait for a period of time until the recession begins to ease or is over.

For others however, in particular 'ex-offenders', their situation in terms of securing decent jobs for themselves has 'always' proven to be an extremely difficult task for themselves and likely always will be. Despite their paying 'taxes' like everyone else, ex-offenders are often 'black-listed' by society in terms of almost everything including 'employment'. Statistics show that even when they are well qualified, ex-offenders are 'still' not allowed to work at a particular job and earn a decent wage for themselves and their families.

It is a known fact that most employers throughout the United States 'systematically' bypass ex-offenders when it comes to hiring. The end result of course is that the ex-offender remains 'unemployed', and often he or she though they really may not desire to, find it economically necessary to resort back to a criminal way of life just to 'survive'. Engaging once again in committing such offenses as 'burglary', 'robbery', 'prostitution', 'petty larceny' and 'drug selling' etc.

Now you might say that an ex-offender's not being able to find a decent job and consequently 'support' their family and themselves adequately is nevertheless 'still' not an excuse for them to go out and commit a crime. And, 'many' people I'm sure would no doubt probably agree with you.

But at the same time that you and others would be inclined to take the 'morale' road in this matter as you quite naturally have every right to do, I would simply ask that in all fairness that you 'also' look at, and to, the 'cause' of the problem. And that is, 'most' employers in the United states simply do not hire 'ex-offenders' regardless of their individual qualifications for a particular job. Is this considered 'moral'? And doesn't this type of employer discrimination severely handicap the society demanded 'rehabilitation process' of the ex-offender and also contribute to the continuous never ending 'cycle' of criminality in our country? At this rate, can we seriously ever expect it to end?

As an ex-offender myself, I have 'personally' been exposed to and continue to experience several forms of discrimination since I was released from a New York State correctional facility in 'March' of this year(2009). Despite my having submitted well over '165' resumes since that time 'and' my being qualified for the jobs which I've sought, surprisingly I have not to this day been called in for an 'interview' yet which to me is utterly 'shocking'. Obviously, being 'truthful' with your potential employers and alerting them to the fact that you have a 'felony' when filling out your job application as you are required to do, does play a 'significant' role in an employer's deciding whether they feel you should be given an interview or not. And yes, this has been a completely frustrating experience for me.

Each week from here on out I plan to share those experiences with you that I as an ex-offender am made to come in contact with in my quest to find a decent job, housing, and insurance for myself. I will also share with you my experiences and ask your advice on some present problem issues which I am also facing such as 'family', 'friends', 'parole' and 'health'.


If you care enough to get involved and choose to help in anyway I would certainly appreciate it. Especially if it concerns a job. But your just visiting my site at least once a week or maybe even twice a month to see how I'm coming along and perhaps throwing in a word of encouragement or advice here and there is 'equally' as important to me. And, while your here, why not check out some of the really cool deals that the companies who are advertising on my blog are offering. Just double-click their box and see what they have to offer. I promise 'You' won't be dissapointed.

As always, I welcome your thoughts and opinions here and look forward to hearing from you concerning anything you have to say. In the meantime, if you want to hear something hilariously funny and 'original', just sit back and read my next article titled: 'Ronald Mcdonald goes to jail!'.

If you'd like to 'comment' on the piece that you've just read or any other piece appearing on this blog site, please feel free to do so by simply clicking on the words 'comment' which appears below. If you have any questions, then you may email me at fjenk11@gmail.com and I'll personally get back to you in a day or so with the answer to your question. Hope to see you next week. take care of yourself and may God bless.

No comments: